View Single Post
Old 14-05-2017, 10:57   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Large Scale Cyber-Attack Hits 40 NHS Hospitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
XP is a very old operating system at this point and for major architectural changes they need to move on with new releases. XP was supported for 12 years and the British government had a contract for even further support which they, foolishly, cancelled in 2015. How long can Microsoft be expected to continue providing support for an operating system released in 2001? The world has moved on.

As papa smurf said the fault here lies with the Government and the NHS. You simply cannot justify using XP so long after it's release and long past it's generous support window ending. They had more than enough time to to update or commission new software that was dependent on XP. They had more than enough time to update the hardware. Microsoft have been aggressively warning about the end of support for over 5 years.

An XP machine connected to the internet is a recipe for disaster.
It's not the date of release that we should be looking at, but the date it ceased to be sold. I've had to replace my Windows Vista with Windows 10 after only about 7 years' or so use out of it. They should continue to support software for about 15 years at least after the last date they stopped selling it. Not everyone can afford to replace their computer on a regular basis, which is what I had to do.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote