View Single Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:12   #11
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Possible DMF failure - Car people

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I recently swapped out my big ol SUV for a 11 plate Honda Jazz, what a difference (Petrol - they don't make diesel ones)

56 mpg on a run, mid 40's mixed driving, and even if I drive like I stole it, I still get high 30's. Hell I can fill up for under £40 (which is miles less than my CRV used to be, and it has longer range too)

32 litre tank will get me 325 miles on a run which works out to something like 325/32 = 10.15

If I compare to OP's diesel focus which gets 515 on a 52 litre tank that's 515/52= 9.90 so we're getting diesel like economy without the complexity/expensive to fix stuff

I strongly suspect given the level of complexity that diesels have to meet EU regs and the fact they still sound like tractors, and now that modern petrols can reach pretty similar economy without that handicap will mean that diesels will be a thing of the past on anything except big vehicles.

They definitely seem to be falling from favour.

I'll also add that my Jazz has more interior space than a focus, despite being Fiesta size and is stuffed full of tech too, CC, panoramic roof, climate control, phone, ipod connectivity, foldy mirrors, privacy glass, alloys etc etc.

The engine is actually a 1.33 litre in it, but performs about as well as my old 2.0 litre Pinto lump in my capri S (don't let those pensioners pottering around at 40 fool you)
Modern petrol engines are actually getting more and more similar to diesels as they're classed as high pressure & use turbocharging. With that increased complexity comes of course increased servicing & maintenance costs

An example this is the 2.0 TFSI unit used by VW/Audi

Me, I get perhaps 28 Mpg If I'm lucky in the car (most days it's 20) and perhaps 45mpg on the bike.