View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 17:14   #579
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It may seem that way, but we have a date for leaving and the government will stick to it.

If there's a lack of progress, it's because of Brussels intransigence regarding the exorbitant price they want Britain to pay on leaving.

This is, once again, a negotiation. Best to judge it at the end rather than keep distracting the government with problems being put in the way by Clegg, Sturgeon, Clarke and all the other usual suspects.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

The Government isn't at a loss as to how to proceed. It's strategy seems clear enough to me.

It's Barnier & Co who are in the slow lane, with the purpose of causing as much frustration as possible.

I expect things will go a lot faster once it sinks in that GB will definitely leave without a deal if it has to.
As would be expected in any such negotiation and especially since:

a) they know there's plenty of pressure on May's weakened government from those who can't accept Brexit,
b) they've made it perfectly clear that the UK cannot expect to leave without suffering a penalty and
c) they want to send a message to other member states who might be getting cold feet about the club.

This was perfectly predictable from the outset. They were never going to do anything other than make it as onerous as they possibly could for as long as possible without going so far that they'd do significant damage to the EU. That's why I believe there will be a deal at the end of all of this.