View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 16:20   #2822
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
So he was about in 1957 then? And here was me thinking that we didn't join until 1973 as well. Gosh history is being rewritten well today.

Next thing you will be telling me that from 2019, £350 million a week will be spent on building new hospitals. Mind you, reading through some of the posts it looks like 60% of the population (those that didn't vote to leave) will have to emigrate if they express an opinion so at least the existing hospitals will have spaces (mainly for EU migrants for the immediate two years afterwards anyway).
Well he was around in 1957 yes as he was born in 1953 but it was a bit too early for him to be much involved in politics.

Yes we joined the EEC in 1973 a very different animal from what the EU has since become and therein lies much of the problem - a European Economic Community comprised of a small number of broadly similar nations as opposed to a European Union heading inevitably towards a single European state comprised of a much larger number of very different nations.

I explained my error re the Lisbon treaty (which I wrongly called the treaty of Rome in my original post*) but maybe you were so occupied worrying about having to emigrate that you missed that bit. You're not denying the role Blair played in any of that or that it resulted in powers being ceded to the EU are you? That would be rewriting history you know.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=2799

Quote:
He wasn't as I'm sure you know.

It was the Lisbon treaty I was referring to. Blair signed the UK up to the new European Constitution which then culminated in the Lisbon Treaty actually signed by Brown after Blair's resignation. The end result, so far as the UK's sovereignty is concerned, was the same and it's hardly surprising that having been deprived of one promised referendum then, those of us who want to leave the EU might be just a bit sensitive about the same politicians trying to undo the vote we were finally allowed to have.

Last edited by Osem; 07-09-2017 at 16:30.