View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 18:23   #236
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky has already stated their aim is to become less and less reliant on having to acquire content , they've pledged to increase spending on homegrown content to £600 million a year by the end of this year they've also created content with numerous worldwide broadcasters such as Canal + , Cinemax (HBO) , Showtime and NBC.

In September 2013 eight of its top ten shows were made and commissioned by Sky , clearly content is subjective however I think they'll continue along this path of having a mix of homegrown content along with US acquisitions.

Netflix will continue with its original content whilst innovating with its technology in my opinion.
You should work for Sky's media relations.

Just because Sky are aiming to make it's own content, does not mean it will be any better than some of the guff (imo) they are churning out now. It may well be high quality content that is made in the future, but I simply do not see it. Netflix may also produce complete dross in future.

My point was that Netflix can be more selective of what is perceived as better content in future than Sky because they do not have fill schedules on various channels. Netflix can wait for a long time before accepting a new script/program, Sky will have to a pick the best of a bad bunch because they have to fill schedules and generate money through advertising revenues.

Also, it really does not matter who Sky produce content with, it is not a guarantee of quality. They could work with the original producers/writers/directors of The Killing to get a British remake, does not mean it will be any good.