View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 17:11   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: BT to start selling 330Mbps infinity from June 11/2012????

While they certainly aint cheap, I wouldn't call £50 a month too bad either - I'd be paying £53 a month for my BT Business service already (plus line rental) if they hadn't cocked up my order. I actually see that as quite reasonable, though most consumers might still be gravitating towards £7.50 a month cheapo ADSL offers...

For Talktalk and BT Business, it's just £5 extra going 40/10 to 80/20, Sky's position is different as the £10 includes going from 2mbps to 20mbps upstream, skipping 40/10 which they don't provide. Given other providers charge £5 going from 40/2 to 40/10 Sky's charge seems to fall pretty much in line with the rest - i.e. £5 for the doubling of downstream bandwidth.

As for exchange backhaul, I'd be quite surprised if an FTTP exchange is only running 1Gbps backhauls, or that 1Gbps handovers will remain the norm for much longer - given BT's fairly concrete plans for 1Gbps service next year. Particularly as you say a single FTTC cab is backhauled to the exchange with multiple gigabit links, and an FTTP exchange will be running multiple GPON circuits. While an average ADSL2+ exchange might be running on just 1Gbps backhaul anything less than 10G on an FTTC/FTTP exchange like mine would make me wonder how the hell they're pulling off their insanely low congestion and jitter results right now.

Also the prioritisation rate on 110/15 (the consumer service) is just 20mbps in the downstream direction, or only slightly more than 40/10 and considerably lower than 80/20. That suggests they're going for much higher contention on the consumer FTTP products.

So again, given they're specifically introducing two variants, I fully expect the split to reflect the current 110/15 vs 100/30 differentiation, with 330/20 used for cheaper, shaped and lower prioritised services and priced within consumer reaches, probably around £40 to 50, with lower guaranteed speeds and higher contention both from Openreach and the ISP, and 330/30 being used for prioritised business services where £50 a month for 40/10 isn't even above the norm.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote