View Single Post
Old 20-01-2015, 16:03   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But if the linear channels were all replaced by VOD, this would be a step change in the way that people watched TV.

By the time this happens, the existing STBs will all be capable of linking with the internet, and this may well become the standard way of viewing.
Won't happen, and, TBH, despite all the hype, it appears the BBC isn't actually doing anything with this programme they aren't already doing with others. They've certainly done news reports specifically for the website and various BBC news apps. They also have parts of programmes where they interact with the audience, although other channels do this.

Don't get me wrong, the BBC are innovative, and (IMO) beat the commercial broadcasters hands down when it comes to embracing new technologies.

That does not mean that VOD will ever totally replace linear channels, and I don't think it should. STBs may well all be capable of linking with the Internet, but how would people who don't wish to have an STB or do not have reliable broadband internet access watch TV? Do you think they should be deprived of TV because you are seeing a problem that isn't there?

Regarding adverts, before you think about how annoying you find them, remember that they *do* pay a lot of the costs of the programmes you watch. If you remove the adverts, the companies are going to need to get their money in some way.

I know that the likes of Netflix are predicting the end of Linear TV, but before you believe them, bear in mind it's in their interest to have people thinking that. If Linear TV ends, where are they going to go? Most likely Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote