Thread: TiVo Media Access Key
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53   #43
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Media Access Key

Quote:
You have no idea what technical background I'm from and I've worked in this field for long enough to know that very little has changed with a good 80% simply a case of removing restrictions at literally the flick of a switch. We are talking about true dedicated DSL services here, not ADSL services which have limitations due to age of infrastructure and clever workarounds to push the boundaries of widespread PSTN technologies.
Considering Virgin Media deployed a D3 overlay network several years ago, which required brand new CTMS hardware everywhere, then that is completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeleybobs View Post
Well if thats the case, then why don't I have the freedom to hook up my own hardware and make my own decision to release TiVo's full potential with services that I want as an individual
Because that is not the way Virgin Media operate. I'm also not aware of TiVo selling any UK cable compatible boxes directly.

If you want to buy your own box, there are plenty of alternatives such as Freesat from Sky, Freesat, Freeview and YouView

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeleybobs View Post
You will see things been activated more frequently when BT's Infinity project is complete and there is direct competition in the works, the service won't be as exclusive as it has been up to now.
BT also don't allow you to hook up your own TV hardware, or have access to potential features not part of the official service