View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56   #155
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
My perceived value is one set by the job market and legitimately dependent on the supply of my skills and their value. It's nothing to do with any perception of my own personal value. I don't pick a figure out of thin air, I base it around advertised salaries.

The actual value of train drivers is perhaps a different story given the extremely high supply of people who are potentially capable and willing to do the job.

I don't regard this as reasonable negotiation but blackmail. I have no issues whatsoever with unions preserving the rights their workers have and ensuring that employers stick to agreements, it's a quite different matter demanding pay and benefits well above those that the market would suggest are appropriate under threat of strike action.

It's a remarkably cynical move in contravention of standing agreements to make the demands they did and the level of action is entirely disproportionate.

At the end of the day they are free to go elsewhere if they feel so hard done by, although of course them getting 45k, a relatively generous pension, such a short working week and such a huge amount of time off is a somewhat different matter.

We will evidently agree to disagree on this. I should also mention that I'm free to whinge on this or any other subject as I see fit and of course train drivers don't whinge about me, they know a good deal when they see one and aren't likely to complain when their unions can hold the largest city in Europe and one of only two A++ cities in the world to ransom at a whim.

Are you sure that ther is a high supply of people that want to be tube drivers, I mean it is not this best of jobs (I mean the actual work you have to do) and anyway, you do not have to use public transport!

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
You have just crossed a line...Not everyone CAN join a union

Can you expand on that?

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I think the real issue is why do the employers keep agreeing to these ridiculous pay agreements?
Because Tube drives have stong unions, if more people were members of strong unions then we would be all better off!

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Is this a sore point Mr A? You seem awfully aggressive today.

Per the above I can complain about anything I see fit to anywhere I see fit to so long as the host allows it. I resent paying higher tube fares so that tube drivers can get above inflation pay rises and absurd benefits by threatening to bring London to a standstill while most others see limited wage rises.

I complain about it elsewhere, did you want me to link you to those other places I've commented so that you can complain about my complaining there too?
For goodness sake, join a union to get better pay and conditions!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote