View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 20:51   #279
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Worrying news for ESA claimants converting from DLA to PIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
As silly as that sounds, it is how the DWP has been operating for a good few years now, they seriously have that mindset.

They will keep operating in such a way as it gains a net expenditure drop from the practice as not everyone will appeal.

They justify it by saying its about "what people can do" instead of "what they cannot do", however I have met no employers who agree with that policy (when considering someone for a new job).

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

I agree there is people in wheelchairs who do work, but the vast majority of them were already employed when they became disabled, keeping a job is very different to trying to get one.

You can get 15 points for a wheelchair, but the wheelchair itself actually is now disregarded by the ESA assessors, they consider that if you have a wheelchair then you are "mobile".

What is even worse is that people without wheelchairs they can "pretend" they have one and as such are mobile.

To get 15 points with a wheelchair would be e.g. if you cannot self propel the wheelchair, in which case you should get 15 points.
The problem with the mobility descriptor is that the activities of mobilizing and going up/down stairs are combined. So while a claimant may be judged capable of mobilizing with a manual wheelchair, the 2nd question also needs to be asked of can they walk up/down 2 steps. I should imagine that is where the original confusion arose.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote