View Single Post
Old 13-03-2007, 16:33   #14
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

Yeah. I remember it being the early 90's when we had our estate cabled (Cable North West, Ashton-in-Makerfield). We used to call cable an acronym - 'Cars And Bloomin Lorries Everywhere'. Once it was all finished every house was carded asking could they pay us a no-pressure visit. We said yes and a *very* smart bloke in a suit (much more like the man from the Pru than the cable salespeople of today!) came and talked to us for half an hour about what was being offered. There was no pressure to sign up - indeed you couldn't on the spot. They left a glossy brochure which I remembered reading at the age of 13 - 'in the future, we will be offering very high speed access to the internet' - those words stayed with me for a while. Sadly, my parents at the time decided it wasn't worth the cash and stuck with BT. But there was a feeling that it was genuinely something special, something better than BT.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote