View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 09:23   #28
MarkBooth
Inactive

MarkBooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
OK from this it appears to be saying the IDE channels are down as it can access and load dos from the A: drive, but you have no access to either CDrom or HD.

Or are you able to see the C: drive after booting to a floppy this way?

As far as cd-rom drivers go which boot floppy are you using and are you selecting to boot with cdrom support or not?

Could be worth opening up the case and double checking the IDE cable is not loose too as well as checking power supply to HD and CD-Rom.

If all conections appear to be OK next step will be to go into the bios setup to check nothing is messed in there possibly someone having messed up something like disabling the IDE channels.

One last possibility while you are there is to try the Main HD on the secondary IDE channel just in case it is just the primary one that is down.

Fingers crossed one of these will sort the problem if not is sounding like upgrade time.
I can see the C drive after and only after I put the floppy disk in, and using CD ROM support, but probably because of huge differences between mine and my mates machine, the CD drivers refuse to load (he made an error of not making an Emergency Floppy).

All cables are okay.

I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. It's as though the startup is totally bypassing the BIOS, as though it's not there.

Lastly, I can't seem to find an adequate description of the 2 beeps for an Award BIOS. For 2 beeps it says check the screen for details of the error, and I've resolved that error, leaving me with only 2mb of disk capacity on drive C, which I'm lead to believe is set aside by the BIOS anyway.

My mate said he would take everything out of the PC, and reconnect them, but I can't see that working.
MarkBooth is offline   Reply With Quote