View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 00:37   #25
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era
Re: 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBooth
Ok, I've now seen my mates machine. No joy

The system seems to be bypassing the bios (which is Award BTW). As soon as I start the machine, with a system disk in it comes up with "Detecting floppy drive A media" and runs off what's on the A drive until the C prompt. I can#t get any CD-Rom drivers to work on it. I tried taking out the CMOS jumper and putting it back on the board to no avail.
OK from this it appears to be saying the IDE channels are down as it can access and load dos from the A: drive, but you have no access to either CDrom or HD.

Or are you able to see the C: drive after booting to a floppy this way?

As far as cd-rom drivers go which boot floppy are you using and are you selecting to boot with cdrom support or not?

Could be worth opening up the case and double checking the IDE cable is not loose too as well as checking power supply to HD and CD-Rom.

If all conections appear to be OK next step will be to go into the bios setup to check nothing is messed in there possibly someone having messed up something like disabling the IDE channels.

One last possibility while you are there is to try the Main HD on the secondary IDE channel just in case it is just the primary one that is down.

Fingers crossed one of these will sort the problem if not is sounding like upgrade time.
Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote