View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 18:54   #84
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Security and antivirus web links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Then Avast is not checking websites as you visit them, which is unusual for AV's these days. It probably just checks files as they are accessed instead. This gives a lower overhead on your computer which can stop the AV slowing down lower spec pc's. This kind of protection is not as good though as a drive-by exploit could overwrite the memory space of an already running process with a dropper which then downloads the fully monty trojan. If Avast detects it at boot up its ok but until you shutdown the computer you could be infected. SO many scenarios though!

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Yeah it has been around for donkey years. Sort of an industry standard for simple AV check.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

This is what is in the text file: X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file

You can paste that line in to notepad and save it to get your av to test it too. If you like fiddling, you can do that and add/change a random letter in the file to see if the AV still detects it. Hackers (not really the term I would use) often use a cryptor to avoid AV's but many times they can just Hex-edit a single part of a virus to make it undetectable if they are lazy.
I did do a little researching after I had had such a quick response from Norton and saw the line of gobbledy gook. What did strike me was, seeing how long ago the test had been written - 1999, why it was still an industry standard for testing AV installations. Do newer virus threats still use the same old programming tools. Probably worded that wrong but I hope you get my drift.