View Single Post
Old 26-08-2003, 13:27   #7
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by CaKe
[B]This is such a horrible topic to debate
Absolutely
Quote:
It's not as cut-and-dry as "people don't have a "right" to have children, it's their choice and not necessary"
Finally, someone has come out and said it!

Quote:
IVF, for many couples, is their last hope. It can cost anywhere between £3000 and £15000 (on the NHS & privately) for just ONE attempt at IVF. This sum of money is not something we can all pay out at once - it's a huge chunk to pay out for something that doesn't guarantee a pregnancy, let alone a child at the end of it.
People should try this before trying something as invasive and expensive as IVF.

Quote:
However - should the NHS pay it all? No, I don't think so. As Russ pointed out, it's the National Health Service, not a fertility clinic. But, people choose to smoke, drink, and have the right to free treatment for lung cancer, and liver transplants. Why should they be entitled to treatment for self-inflicted diseases, when a couple who've tried for 10 years can't get free treatment to help them conceive in the only way left?
Possibly because it's impossible to say if the lung/liver damage was self inflicted. Plenty of non-smokers with lung cancer so who is to say that smoking is responsible for all incidences of lung cancer and how do you tell if the drinker has had liver damage from the booze or from prescription drugs that he's having to take? But broadly speaking, I agree with you on the issue of self inflicted disease.