View Single Post
Old 16-04-2015, 12:37   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The evidence OB has found does not contradict what I posted above, and it does not support the argument he has made throughout this thread, that VOD means linear TV will be dead in 10 years.

It would be a mistake to project the current downward trend forwards to a point where it reaches zero. The reasons for the current decline do not support such an assumption. There are, however, plenty of reasons for arguing that a new equilibrium will be reached between various methods of content delivery. I have outlined some of those above.

I could add to that, that companies that own both platform and channel, such as Sky, have a massive incentive to continue to provide their premium content via the linear platforms they own.
Long before the audience for linear TV reaches zero it will be uneconomic to provide them.

This isn't about our individual preferences, Chris, it's about whether sufficient people will still want to watch linear TV with all the alternatives that are being made available.

The point I keep coming back to is that although there is plenty of money to be made from advertising at the moment, the point will come, inevitably, where the audience share becomes so low that the revenue from advertising will be insufficient to support our linear channels.

The key, presumably is to somehow link this advertising with OD content. However, why go for OD if it's riddled with adverts when you can stream your programmes through the likes of Netflix and Amazon without interruptions?

It's primarily the younger generation that will drive this. Those who are longer in the tooth and set in their ways will be dragged along kicking and screaming, no doubt!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote