View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 16:48   #29
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I think I am going to dip my toe into the DSLR pool but I am a bit loath to spend a load of money on something so complicated I never end up using it. I have been talking with a friend and he has suggested I have a look at the 2nd hand market. He has recommended Wildings as he has used them in the past. Has anyone else used this firm as a second recommendation would be reassuring.

If I go this route I will be looking for a something that is one step up from my point and click models. If I were to buy new I quite fancy the Olympus E-420 Digital SLR which I have found it at around £200 to £230 from sellers I don't know and at £299 from Jessops who I have at least heard of.

What I would value your input on is...If I was to spend around £250ish on a second hand camera something on the lines of the Olympus is there an alternative camera that you would recommend I look out for?

Add...probably a sill question but would my old lenses from my Olympus OM10 fit one of the new DSLR camers?
All modern DSLR's have a Program mode where the camera does everything for you, once you've got the hang of that you can try the other settings:
Aperture - you set the f stop the camera does the rest (useful to get rid of distracting background by limiting the Depth of field - DOF - f5.6 has less DOF than f22 for instance).
Shutter - You set the shutter speed the camera does the rest (useful to capture fast moving objects).
Manual - You set shutter and f stop.

You normally see these called the PASM set. You will also have Scene modes where the camera is set up for landscape, night time etc.

I would rather buy new over second-hand, you never know what sort of use the camera has had, modern cameras are really small computers and expensive to repair.

The Olympus E-420 has had good reviews (What Digital Camera give it 86%).
I don't think it will take the OM10 lenses as it uses the new Four Thirds mount. The Sony A200 might be worth a look (What Digital Camera give it 89%), Amazon have it for £284 - http://bit.ly/3PzqU3
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote