View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 21:30   #44
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky BB fibre product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Matt, I was asking a question, because Sky do give that impression to anyone who isn't in the know. Just as many broadband companies do.

A mate of mine who lives in a village, was complaining the other week that he had spent a whole day searching for an internet company that could give him a decent broadband speed. And until I told him that they would all use his BT line, he was under the impression that BB companies installed their own network.
How exactly does Sky give that impression?

Its own press release, quoted in the very first post of this thread, quite clearly states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme.

As for all ISPs other than VM still using a BT line... Yes, they do use a "BT line" (although of course if the line is fully unbundled then it could actually be a "Sky line"/"TalkTalk line" etc.), but there is more to it than that. Some ISPs just re-sell a BT Wholesale ADSL package, connected via a "BT line", while others install their own equipment in the BT exchange and sell something which is actually theirs, rather than re-sell a BT Wholesale ADSL package...Such as Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and Sky Broadband Unlimited, which are Sky's LLU packages, and make use of Sky's own equipment in the exchange. Sure, they use the "BT line" to connect you to the exchange, but from the exchange onwards it's all via Sky's own network.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote