View Single Post
Old 18-01-2023, 10:44   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Online Safety Bill

I couldn't find an existing thread about this, but with the online safety bill in the news thought it could do with one

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...bench-pressure
Quote:
Donelan confirms stiffer online safety measures after backbench pressure

One new provision targets senior managers at tech platforms who ignore Ofcom enforcement notices
In addition to the amendment for the changes to add criminal charges for tech platform managers, this has also been added which seems to be contrdictory for a goverment that's supposedly against 'cancel culture' and for free speech
Quote:
Under a further change to the bill, video footage that shows people crossing the Channel in small boats in a “positive light” will be added to a list of illegal content that all tech platforms must proactively prevent from reaching users.

Donelan said posting positive videos of crossings could be aiding and abetting immigration offences. Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, had originally tabled an amendment proposing the change.