View Single Post
Old 13-05-2008, 15:05   #13
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
Re: Virgin Media for Pubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
? why dont you buy a subscription to a European satellite tv operator ? although officially you cant subscribe to them official cards can be brought on the internet & as your not living in their country they cant fine or charge you more for being a pub. also it'l cost alot less then Sky or VM would charge you Premiere Sport 1 & Premiere Sport 2 are examples. if you want English commentary Arab or African channels are the ones to go for. there are also some FTA sports channels: Dubai Sports Channel, NASN Europe, Al Jazeera Sports, Al Jazeera Sports 2, NBA Action, NBA TV, Fox Sports Africa, Gear One, Xleague.tv, Audi Channel, The Fight Network, Eurosport & Eurosport 2. have a look here for whats out there & on what satellites they are on: http://en.kingofsat.net/
Unfortunately, particularly in this town of Blackburn, there is a massive clampdown on European Digital Broadcasting equipment, with much of it being seized by Police and officials.

According to the following link, though, there is actually no law being broken by having these and showing 3pm Games.

But, you can understand why Football Clubs and Leagues dont want them to show 3pm games, because then people would just go to the pub instead of buying a ticket, thus killing the game itself.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...uipment-3.html

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
NTL stopped doing commercial subscriptions for TV in 2006. Just wasn't financially viable, as the only reason most places had it was for Sports and Sky make all the profit on that lol
So, Ben.

If I find my property to be Cable Enabled, could I not just get a normal subscription and use that?

Surely I could state in court that I had cable, and they dont do a commercial subscription, thus keeping me from trouble?

Interesting Quote from the site mentioned:

Quote:
1. The Pub can not be done under any breach of copyright as long as they have paid for a valid subscription.
2. The law on the showing of live football at 3pm on a Saturday is not a law at all but a restriction imposed by the FA on British TV companies.
3. Civil suits are the only way for Media companies to persue this if they have the bottle but they do not have a case at all. This is all bluff and scaremongering.
4. Under EEC law it is legal to purchase and import anything within the EEC freely. Including TV services if the selling company are willing to supply this.
I mean, Id still prefer cable, but I would go for European before getting Sky, simply because of the price of it!
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote