View Single Post
Old 22-01-2015, 12:46   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As you can on just about every PVR , how would you fast forward the ads by this method though considering you'd be virtually watching live ?
Not a problem on a BBC channel though!

I agree that if you were watching a programme 'live' on demand, you would have to put up with the adverts if the programme was provided by a commercial channel with ads. However, by watching it later, you could fast forward through them.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
BIB, So the broadcasters could list all the programs available on a daily basis, at a certain time. Sounds rather a lot like what happens now with EPG's and TV guides. If only there was a system in place which people who work shifts could shifts find a way to record a show and watch at convenient time for them. Oh wait, there already is.

Lets also say, I work a 5am - 8pm shift (not uncommon in food retail) and I do not get to see when Broadchurch becomes available to watch ahead of linear tv. I then go on the internet to see what is happening in the world and see a host of posts/stories about the show, all because I did not know when the show could be downloaded. What should I do in that instance, stay off the internet just incase my viewing pleasure is ruined? As it stands, if I miss Broadchurch, I know to steer clear of certain sites until I have caught up with it.

With regards to the other revenue streams, why would ITV want to risk crippling their revenue stream when it works well for them currently? What purpose would it serve them to offer their shows on demand with no adverts? What other revenue streams are available to them? Charity contributions? Bank loans?

Don't get me wrong, linear TV may well die off in the next 20 years, I just can not see it happening.

I love a good debate on here, but I think your argument is massively flawed. The TV companies have a good deal going for them, nothing is really broken with the system and I can't see why they would risk losing their revenue stream from adverts. Netflix etc will continue to be a nice luxury for those who can afford it and the two different ways of watch TV will stay exactly the same.
As more and more people find other ways of watching programmes, including many who currently record first what they want to watch and then skip the ads, the revenue from advertising will decline anyway, and there will come a point where an alternative method of funding will need to be found.

Your logic is not quite right, because you have ignored the fact that you can already watch all your programmes through catch up, which is not peppered with advertisements. The TV channels have gone into this voluntarily, they can see where all this is leading.

Regarding the programmes being listed to start at a certain time, I put it this way to take account of the 'live programming' argument, but there is nothing to stop the TV channels from loading up all the programmes at the start of the day that could be viewed immediately, apart from the live stuff.

The arguments you make are fair enough, but they do not prevent the scenario I describe, or something like it, from happening. They are simply considerations that need to be thought through.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote