View Single Post
Old 26-07-2017, 21:39   #55
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
So before you set out on a journey in your eleccymobile you need to know you have enough juice to make it or factor in detours and a lot of hanging around before and that includes considering whether to put the aircon or heating on. Is that progress? We don't know what progress is going to be made or how much these things are going to cost but does anyone really believe they're going to be better and no more expensive than the vehicles they're replacing? I don't. I recall being told diesel was a great and now I'm being penalised for what the so called experts led us to believe.
Personally I think self-driving cars will take a good bulk of general driving tasks by 2040 but that's a different debate.

Are electric cars progress? I think so. I think for the most part they'll match fuel cars in every aspect but the speed of refuelling but that will be negated by the ability to charge in far more places whilst the car is parked and better battery technology. I think by 2025-2030 they'll be able to recharge hundreds of miles worth of electricity in a few minutes.

I don't think they'll cost more/less than current cars. They'll come down in price when they're more common but the market will dictate the price and probably come down around the same as now plus inflation.

But they'll beat fuel cars on being better for the environment and they'll allow more flexible energy policy as we wouldn't need to depend on oil specifically. Obviously that depends how we generate the electricity which is the bigger question here. We need to start building another nuclear power plant or two. From my understanding there is also less that can go wrong with an electric engine than a petrol one, no oil changes, less parts to break and so on.

Last edited by Damien; 26-07-2017 at 21:46.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote