View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39   #52
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

I appreciate VM are moving forward with an On Demand idea however their rights packages simply aren't enough to compete with a linear TV station + DTR yet. I am absolutely certain this is not entirely their fault but if distributors wont let stuff go On Demand before it gets on Sky Atlantic then VM need Sky Atlantic!

Take the LOST example - when we lost Sky One in the far-gone wilderness of 2007, Virgin Media "struck back" by telling its customers they too would have LOST, on demand, without adverts. Excellent... except it was on a 1 year delay.

Well that's no bloody good then is it?!

I'm sure this wont be the case forever, but for whatever boring behind-the-scenes reason, On Demand content is not up to competing with linear TV yet.

Most importantly - idiot Joe Bloggs in the street will choose between Sky and VM based on what 'telly' they can get. On Demand is hardly even on Joe Bloggs' horizon yet.