View Single Post
Old 30-08-2017, 22:23   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: 'Living drug' gets go-ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Personally I see the price as being reasonable given that 4 out 5 people treated are cancer free.

We need to factor in the cost saving of treating those who are now cancer free. I had 2 drugs that cost just under £10000 in total to prepare me for a kidney transplant. I was fortunate in that the transplant was a success and have not needed dialysis for nearly 4 years now. So, in my case, that £10000 was well spent.

Oh and don't forget the effects of being cancer free on the patient and their loved ones - you cant put a price on that!
The loved ones can't but the bean counters do for obvious reasons. Of course this treatment could save lots of money in the longer term but long-termism doesn't seem to be much of a feature of modern society sadly.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote