View Single Post
Old 15-08-2017, 11:00   #63
alestescarrow
Inactive

alestescarrow will become famous soon enoughalestescarrow will become famous soon enoughalestescarrow will become famous soon enough
Re: The Welsh language

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, but what point is there in learning a language which is of no practical use? We need fewer languages, not more, and I would love to see the day when the whole world speaks one language so that we can all understand each other and our different perspectives.

Having so many different languages is a barrier to understanding and serve no useful purpose in my view.
This is not a response specific to Welsh, but language is not a facet of practicality, it is one of culture. As Winston Churchill famously alluded, if one did not fight for their culture, then they have nothing to fight for. Seven billion people will never be monolingual, and I would never want to live in such a world. Look up Esperanto, the failed attempt to create a new lingua-franca. English is not a good example of a well-designed language, neither are other lingua-francas, plus they are too rooted in cultural and imperialistic connotations. English is also a relatively new language in comparison to others and as such is itself too much of a mixture of others. Welsh, a language far older than English, is one of those major influences on English vocabulary.
alestescarrow is offline   Reply With Quote