View Single Post
Old 31-07-2017, 22:53   #206
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Again, they're not making everyone buy electric cars now. 23 years ago the 'global super information highway' was the next big thing. The Nokia 3310 was 6 years away.

The world doesn't stay still, it moves on. Electric cars are coming. Manufactures and governments are moving in that direction and it would be foolish not to plan for it. If Tesla can build electric sports cars with a range of 300 miles now, after 10 years since their first car, imagine what we'll be able to do in another 10 years. Especially since now it's no longer a niche market with BMW producing an electric mini, Ford looking at electric engines and Volvo going electric only.

A society with less technological sophistication than ours managed to move to the combustion engine, set up those networks, we can do the same.
... and what happens if/when their 2040 deadline is there and the required national infrastructure isn't? Providing enough charging points is going to be a massive task and it wouldn't surprise me if half way through the hugely costly and protracted process they drop the whole thing in favour of something else. Remember it was only a couple of years ago that they were cajoling people into buying diesel cars. I bought one and now I'm a pariah...

You keep drawing analogies with phones and the internet - if they don't start digging up roads and putting in charging points soon it'll be too late. If they can come up with a way to charge up cars wirelessly via the internet maybe they have a chance...

Last edited by Osem; 31-07-2017 at 22:59.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote