View Single Post
Old 18-01-2016, 08:31   #101
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Corbyn's kerfuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I think he is suggesting that they are converted to conventional weapons, which is feasible as the yanks have converted some of their Ohios to ssgns.
Indeed. Although they still have 14 of the 18 carrying Trident II. The 4 remaining can carry, amongst other things, nuclear tipped cruise missiles.

The only real point in our having those submarines there is to deter a nuclear first strike against us.

Unlike the USA or Russia we don't have the benefit of enough land mass to put ICBMs far enough away from the coast that any incoming SLBMs will have an appreciable travel time and bombers are, for obvious reasons, vulnerable.

My local Labour party is I note considering a motion on unilateral disarmament that's recently come in. Unilateral disarmament is utter insanity.