View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 17:09   #162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Westminster Sexual Allegations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, maybe someone could explain that for us and what attention is ever paid to the impact on innocent families, children etc.

It's perfectly obvious that achieving political advantage is a key factor in much of what's going on here with regard to Westminster. In the current media feeding frenzy we're witnessing a great many people have been so keen to smear their opponents at every opportunity that they've overlooked possible skeletons in their own cupboards. It's very unedifying and says a lot about the sort of people some of our political masters are and what depths they'll plumb to get their way.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

All the more reason for the media not to publicise the very 'facts' which could be used by others to make false claims. Let's be clear, that right now innocent people are being subjected to a process of investigation which leaves them being treated as guilty until proven innocent for very long periods of time with permanent damage to their lives, careers and finances. I don't see how that can be justified at all.
I can see both sides of the argument, and I know that such investigations can be assisted by the publicity. However, they can also be hampered by publicity seeking idiots and those seeking financial compensation.

I think the rules need looking at again, and the name of the accused should be revealed only if a judge considered there to be compelling evidence to justify doing so.

Anyone accused of such a crime is very vulnerable the way things stand, because the old adage that you are found guilty only if the charge can be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt' seems to be watered down for these sorts of allegations.

However, the victims of these crimes are vulnerable too, because proving that someone committed a serious sexual assault is difficult, as there are normally only two witnesses.

I would have thought that the police should investigate such crimes carefully, using modern techniques, but they should not make assumptions either way until they have the evidence.

What happened in the Ted Heath case is an example of the deplorable standards of investigation that are taking place these days. It is quite disturbing.

Maybe a Royal Commission should be set up to review how these cases are dealt with. The Justice system doesn't seem to be fit for purpose at the moment, with people who are innocent being put through the ringer and often prosecuted, while too many victims don't get treated properly or have their complaints properly investigated. Omnishambles is the word that comes to mind.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote