View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:03   #54
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'm not sure why you think TBB's result is "wrong".
Isn't it obvious? I am not a technician. I am a lay person with an interest in things technical. My understanding of how speed tests work is limited by the fact that I don't spend all my waking hours on such matters. The comparative descriptions above have helped my understanding considerably. Thank you qasdfdsaq and Sephiroth.

You need to appreciate that without your deeper understanding Joe Public will take speed tests at face value. e.g. 27Mbps means just that, not in fact 27Mbps X4. Is this not the point of this thread, implied in the title, to educate each other regardless of our technical backgrounds?

Edit.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Now I am really confused! I currently have access to a Virgin Media only tester. I have been assured that this is a single thread-based test.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 104434 kbps (13054.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8142 kbps (1017.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 17 ms
21 February 2012 06:33:11

Why isn't it showing me 104Mbs roughly divided by 4 = 26Mbps? Or perhaps I have completely misunderstood Sephiroth's comparative analysis of speedtest.net and the tbb monitor.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote