Thread: TiVo TiVo Picture Quality
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2011, 13:54   #59
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Probably not.

What you select will be dependent on what the native resolution of your TV is.

If your TVs 1080, then selecting 720 is wrong anyway. You're scaling twice; 576 to 720 in the Tivo and then your TV is scaling 720 to 1080. The fewer times you scale a picture, the better.

It seems that the upscaler chip in the Tivo is not as good as the one in the SA V+, because people who ran the V+ and Tivo at 1080, are getting a worse SD picture on Tivo.

This is strange, because Cisco own SA, so why not stick with a proven scaler chip?

I do find it softer, but I've found that I've got used to it over the last few days, so it's not a massive drawback, but very dissapointing given the excellent SD picture from the SA V+.
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote