Thread: TiVo TiVo Picture Quality
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2011, 17:35   #50
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

This was posted by a VM staff member on the TiVo Help & Support Forum. I'm no technical wizard, but I assume this forced SD output of 720p is why a lot of people are saying the TiVo PQ for SD broadcasts is "soft" compared to the V+.

Let's hope the development team do extend the output options so users can choose how they want the box to output SD. This is how it should have been set up from the start. A state of the art STB like this should have multiple options that allows the customer to choose something that matches their own preference, not have VM dictate what they think is best for people's TV!

"All I can say is that we've made the decision to upscale where the user has accepted multiple resolution settings including any that are higher than the native output. We have also prioritised 720p output over 1080i for SD channels when it is selected. We don't use 720p over 1080i on HD channels when both are selected because the native output of the HD channel is 1080i, and the two resoultions are generally considered about equal. I don't know why we choose 720p over 1080i for SD channels. I personally (my opinion) prefer 720p to 1080i, and perhaps they chose it because there are fewer pixels to upscale with 720p and TiVo does a better
job with progressive scan (this is just postulation).

While I understand that this may not be the best way of doing things for users whose other devices may do a better job of upscaling content, it will provide the best picture for the average household with an HDTV. As I'm sure you know, if you want to be sure that you get the native output you simply choose only the native video resolution of the channel that you are watching. I will have a word with some of the development team to see whether there is a possibility of expanding the these settings to give the users like yourself more control over video output. "
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote