View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 19:52   #1117
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
For full disclosure I am no angel and have fractured the odd copyright law online for a couple of decades at least.

That being said I am somewhere in the middle of your moral stance.
To give an example, whilst I have free access to almost every sporting event I would wish to watch via my kind friend in America who gave me the login to their cable account I still pay for the events I can get on British TV, but that is on a PPV basis with Now TV or by giving a family member £5 a month to have BT Sports added to their BT account for me to use.
People may think I'm foolish to pay out for things I could watch for free but I prefer to pay my way when its an option and only use my alternative methods when the event is denied me on British TV, what I will never do again is pay VM, Sky or anyone else for a load of crap I don't want to get access to the things I do want.

Kodi is actually a really good platform to play your locally stored content, legal services as well as being a great PVR.
Unfortunately apart from BBC Iplayer and UKTV Player the other British broadcasters have pretty much closed off Kodi's access to their service but the same can't be said for the US, with the main exception of HBO (which I don't need as I get Sky Atlantic via Now TV) an awful lot of the US broadcasters services are available via (legit) Kodi addons.

With regards to the main point of this thread and the future of linear TV I am again occupying the middle ground,
pretty much all of my media consumption is via on demand/OTT services, I honestly can't remember the last time I switched on live TV to be entertained with the large exception of watching live sports or the latest news.
Actually I guess this paragraph isn't the middle ground but it shows there are some things that linear channels still need to be there for!
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Just one thing, I completely agree that some things are best watched live, but you can still watch live events as they happen by way of streaming. For example, the BBC i-player enables you watch your channel as it is currently broadcasting. I am sure that this is the way that linear TV will be accessed in future, rather than via conventional broadcast channels.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote