View Single Post
Old 25-09-2017, 10:41   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Disaster for Merkel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I'm not sure it's short term political ambitions that are the problem most politicians now across the political spectrum are looking towards globalisation and the trouble is they are too fixated on that big goal and lots of little things are happening unnoticed that will eventually become a big problem at a rapid pace that we won't be ready for. It's why i wanted Trump to win not so much because i like the man i don't but the idea that someone outside of the political bubble would come in and drag the whole disconnected political establishment back to reality and to stop taking citizens for granted. This will be Merkel's last term and I'm sure she's aware of that and for that reason I don't expect her to alter anything at all in any meaningful way.
I agree and therein lies the problem. None of these people want to tarnish their rightful place in history by admitting they've been wrong and doing something about a problem she largely created would be such an admission. Blair was exactly the same, the only times he ever 'admitted' mistakes and promised change for the better was just before an election. When he'd got back in office it was largely forgotten and that's what led to the rise in UKIP who may have faded as a party but whose ideals certainly haven't faded amongst large sections of society. When our mainstream parties just carry on regardless as they have for so long now they leave a vacuum into which, sooner or later, comes an articulate, charismatic extremist who takes full advantage of all the pent up anger and resentment. We know what can happen next...

Last edited by Osem; 25-09-2017 at 10:46.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote