View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 20:18   #105
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
i'm not hung up about anything. I'm simply speculating on what is to come.

I mentioned the licence fee because by abolishing it, those who cannot afford a subscription now would have some money to use for streaming services instead.

Your reference to where the money comes from initially to fund commercial channels is not relevant to this argument because there will always be a proportion of money put into budgets to fund advertising.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

1. It's the programmes on Sky Atlantic that I want, not necessarily the channel.

2. My complaint about the adverts related to the fact that they are so prevalent on our commercial TV stations. I could put up with two or three at the beginning of a programme, as long as the programme was not interrupted, and I could put up with adverts adorning a list of what's available on the content provider's site. Currently, our access on TV to Netflix is advert free.

3/4. We agree!

5. It's rather expensive that way. It is more likely that people will subscribe to one or more content providers, which is not very expensive. As I said, those with limited budgets would simply pick their content using the licence fee money that would no longer be payable (under my scenario). Netflix costs rather less than £20 a month! In the future there will be content providers that provide a full range of entertainment, including news, sport, films and TV series, for less than we currently pay on our TV licence, which is double the current Netflix fee. As for the Lovefilm thing, I'm so over DVDs! Streaming is much simpler (as long as the technology works).

By the way, and once again, I'm not advocating a personal preference for ditching linear channels. I simply think that in time (how long may be debatable), people will start to see that streaming is a better solution to quality viewing than broadcast TV.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Can you actually name a streaming device that shows all the streaming video providers? At the moment, from what I can see, if you want Netflix, you can't have Amazon Prime, etc.

Anyway, as I keep saying, I want all of this on one device.
Your argument regarding advertising budgets, is flawed. Companies will never be able to afford advertising without the money added into the price of the product. All monies from sales are syphoned off into various difference pots, and whatever is left is then profit. If there was not a pot for advertising (before profits) the ad budget would come out of the profit. No business could sustain itself operating this way. If a tv company raised the ad fees each year, the shop would be ruined in a few short years.
Put simply, the ad money comes from us when we buy products.

With regards, commercial adverts, again I will ask why would you not just manage your viewing schedule?

With regards doing away with the license fee, how are the BBC supposed to operate?!? Goodbye MOTD etc, it was nice knowing you. How would I be able keep up to date with The Ashes by listening to the wonderful TMS commentary. Bear in mind I refuse to pay for SS and would not want to pay a fee for the awful highlights from Channel 5? What if I like original British programs, and did not want to watch repeats on Netflix etc or American shows?

Doing away with the license fee would indeed free up money for Netflix and Amazon (or any two other streaming services) only. How are people going to afford anything else if they can still only afford two services though? Their TV watching will be pretty limited bearing in mind there will be no BBC, ITV, C4, C5 channels broadcasting FTA because the license fee will no longer be around and people will have to pay for ITV etc, and we will still be paying for the adverts in front of the shows and on the websites. So in my eyes, your thoughts involve people spending considerably more money than they do now, for much, much less. You may be right, it may happen, but how do the less well off survive in this market?

It's nothing personal OB, I do disagree that streaming will become better than linear tv in my lifetime though. I just enjoy a good debate - as you have probably figured out by now..

Fair enough with the DVD's I love the service though. Cheap, effective and better stability than streaming, with much better insight into the films. I tried renting Gone Girl Saturday night, but surprise, surprise there was an issue with on demand. How in this day and age, in a strong VM area, can I have an issue with on demand, esp. with the years of experience VM have had delivering on demand services? Madness.

No, I don't think you can get the lot on one device.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote