Thread: Superhub A few questions!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 23:42   #7
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: A few questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhuman View Post
Hi all, i upgraded from 10mb to 30mb last year and it was very unstable speed was up and down and at times as low as 1mb so i went back on to 10mb and its been fine again since. However i would like a bit more speed for streaming video.

So to help me decide what to do for the best i have a few questions!

Is the legacy network the same as Docsis 1 and are all the people on 20mb or less on this network or are some of them on Docsis 3?
[SEPH]: Yes that's true. But the overlay and overbuild networks on which DOCSIS 3 sits can carry DOCSIS 1 as well.

Is there a Docsis 2?
[SEPH]: Yes. It's used for the upstream. But those going to bonded upstream channels use DOCSIS 3.

Ive seen it said that there are a lot less subscribers on Doscis 1, so does this make it more reliable?
[SEPH]: Only to the extent that there is less cintention. VM are unlikely to keep internet users on the legacy network.

Ifso is it right to say that Docsis 1 is basically an empty motorway that you can travel along at 10mb with no hold ups and 30mb+ is a congested motorway with hold ups stopping you from maintaining your max speed?
[SEPH]: Historically, the legacy network was congested in some places. Likewise now the DOCSIS 3 network. It's all to do with contentions as I'm sure you've grasped. Some DOCSIS 3 areas are not congested, so the generalisation can't be made.

Is it down to over subscription or is it the superhub thats to blame?
[SEPH]: It's down to contention not the SH although there is now a theory going round that a phenomenon known as "bufferbloat" (you can Google that) is screwing the DOCSIS 3 network. Some people think it's the SH buffers, but there are buffers everywhere in the chain and one big fat f-off buffer in the Allot traffic management system.

Do you those of you that upgraded regret it?
[SEPH]: I don't. I moved from legacy 20 meg to DOCSIS 3 50 meg with few problems.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote