View Single Post
Old 13-11-2017, 13:05   #728
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
As I said migration to the UK, especially that from Eastern Europe, tends to be younger and fitter whereas the biggest burdens on the NHS are from the elderly and those with chronic conditions. It makes sense that an increase in population relates to an increase in demand only if that population uses the service equally but instead it's very demographic dependent.

I am not saying it's had no impact, although with the proportion of EU nurses and social workers maybe it's even a positive one, but I am not sure it's one of the 'principal' causes of the rise in waiting times.

Everyone goes on and on about immigration without quantifying the impact it's really had on the NHS but you look at something like diabetes and that's had a dramatic impact: https://www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/dia...icted-to-rise/

10% of the NHS budget, 10%!, relatives only to diabetes. How likely is it immigration comes anywhere near that figure?
I think you have missed the point, Damien. I don't know how fit these people are, but given the sheer number of them piling into the UK, there is an obvious impact on our public services, particularly the NHS, not to mention housing, schools, etc.

And before there are any rants, it is not a race or nationality issue. It is a capacity issue. We are not a big country, and we have over-reached our capacity. If the bus you are waiting for turns up but it's full, you would expect to be turned away, wouldn't you?

When we regain control of our affairs, we will be able to pick and choose who we take in, and I dare say that the NHS would be an obvious example of where skills from overseas (not just Europe) would be welcome.