View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 13:53   #126
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
DOCSIS (HFC) hasn't only recently been opened up in Australia. NBN was a project to transform broadband access and forced utilties providers to offer access through the exsiting duct/cable systems and then offload at the Edge network, this started pre 2010 and HFC access has been in play since 2010. In Australia you can have (for example) Telstra cable at home but be able to choose either Telstra or NBN for your connection, different CPE required and then the handover happens at the Edge network (CMTS). NBN also has access to proprietary FTTP and FTTN connections as well as upgraded a lot of existing copper plant to a mix of FTTP and VDSL2.
I think you perhaps have not kept pace with the story in recent years. Initially it was just an access agreement with NBM, however more recently this was renegotiated with both the Telstra and Optus HFC DOCSIS networks being completed sold to NBM rather than just gaining access to these networks. With that in mind, Telstra and Optus no longer sell these networks to customers. You can only now buy DOCSIS network access via NBM. In turn NBM supplies this to all the major providers, therefore turning the network into a multi-provider network which I believe is the first of its type globally. I am of course aware of the project here in the UK where BT shared its cable with Virgin in Westminster and Milton Keynes, but the project is Australia is many steps up from that.

As a side issue, the Optus HFC network whilst relatively new has been deemed to be worthless to the NBM project due to the large number of modems per node. It therefore is apparently going to be scrapped. The story is being re-spun by NBM is that this was all just a transfer agreement, but considering the re-negotiation back in 2014 turned the access agreement into a full transfer of ownership, its fairly obvious what is really going on based on the modem/node issue. Telstra's HFC network on the other hand is apparently still viable with obvious upgrades to the CMTS being required. How long it will maintain viability is questionable should providers decide to roll out higher speeds. Regardless the Telstra network is no longer Telstra's and instead now part of the larger NBM project going forwards. Apparently the first set of customers to move to NBM on cable fairly recently went live.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
There's no reason to open up the DOCSIS network, it was privately built and already has a public competitor with the OpenReach network.
We are not disagreeing with one another. Just relaying other parts of the story along with possible outcomes. Regulators have been re-looking at the strategy around this recently - in fact a good friend of mine has been working on the response.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote