View Single Post
Old 21-03-2012, 14:02   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Todays BUDGET

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I must admit that if i landed a job that paid 200k and i had to hand over 100k in tax i would wonder why bother .It certainly isn't the best way to encourage people to rise to the top
But that's not how it works. The 50% rate kicks in at £150,000 and affects all your earnings over £150,000. All your earnings below that continue to be taxed at 20% for the first £40,000 of taxable income and 40% for everything between £40,000 and £150,000.

I'm not sure I buy the rather self-serving argument that the higher tax rate disincentivises people from growing their business. People who make £200,000 a year are already generally highly capable and ambitious people who invest and grow their businesses because they can. They don't sit around refusing to do it because the chancellor has taken a few extra quid from their pay.

There does of course come a point where high tax rates become counter productive, but those rates are way, way higher than they are now and they result in emigration of the most mobile and affluent to lower tax regimes elsewhere in the world.