View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44   #154
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
Yes, because mirroring isos is pretty normal, right? Downloading the Warcraft client every day, and buying games from Steam every day, and downloading Windows 8 every day is normal, right?

Do you think that VM are implementing these measure because of people updating Warcraft, or downloading Windows 8, or watching streamed media?

You see it every day on here, and other sites, nod and winks about downloading 'linux iso images', complaints about throttled newsgroups, boasts about how many GB a night people can squirrel away.

People squealing about how 'their' usage is completely above board and "how dare" others suggest otherwise seem to be protesting a little too much. I'm sure that there are some, quite uncommon, legitimate reasons why somebody would be maxing out their 100Mb connection 24/7, but on the whole, nah, people are generally going at it hammer and tongs.

Unless we include that aspect in the discussion of STM, then it's a waste of time, as people seem reluctant to even acknowledge the existence of such activities, when in fact they seem the main reason for having STM at all.
It's not always about maxing the connection out day in, day out, weeks upon end. It's about downloading a big chunk just as a one off during peak times (when you might want to use it) is going to grant you 5 hours of STM. People dislike being penalised for using their high speed connection to download a one off large chunk at a desirable time to them. If that is the only large chunk they download all month, that's not a particularly fair and intelligent STM model. For "repeat offenders" literally leaching/seeding 24/7 torrents then yes, they should be STM'd. If you can't intelligtently and fairly do STM, then don't do it all is the argument.

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are currently two 100Mbit tiers. XXL 100 and the original 100Mbit. 120Mbit hasn't launched yet but when it does both 100Mbit tiers will be uplifted to 120Mbit as part of the programme

That's because all speed changes are onto the new tiers. So techincally if you downgraded from XXL to XL you would actually go from 50Mbit to 60Mbit. Asking to go onto 30Mbit would take you down to L
So does this mean I am paying more than an EX 30mb user and receiving 10mb less? Ah I find this all so confusing. John above mentioned he is paying the same as a 100mb user? How is this so?
I also read of "everywhere is 100mb enabled now" yet I will not get doubled up from 50 to 100 until October 2012 - July 2013. Why is there a delay if 100mb is enabled and ready?

Sorry for all the questions.

I think a really helpful thread (sticky) would be the history of all tiers/pricing/stm etc. I certainly do not understand it well enough to do it, but you might Ben.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote