View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 20:45   #160
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
However WiFi is only any use if you're at a WiFi hotspot.
And if the providor of said hotspot has enough bandwidth and/or the hotspot doesn't have a lot of other users.

This isn't always the case, as a lot of businesses who provide hotspots go for the slowest broadband connection they can get away with. Combine that with the presence of other WiFi users, and you get a slow connection.

Not to mention the fact that if the WiFi hotspot isn't provided by The Cloud (who, IIRC, have tied in with O2 to provide network access), then you could end up paying a lot of money for something 3g customers get as part of their tariff.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The data thing worried me so I double checked before I got it in a Apple Store to ensure it's possible to switch it off.

It's under Settings > General > Network. Then side Data Roaming to 'off'
That's another thing that concerns me. A large percentage of the people the the Iphone will appeal to won't have the technical knowledge to find out something like that, so they could end up running up huge bills while doing nothing, because they didn't know the phone was accessing the network regularly.

It should be OFF by default.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote