Old 21-02-2012, 22:05   #38
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually you did - you said "England" should pay the processing costs. And I pointed out that the WA administration could not find any lawful way of imposing any charge - even an at-cost charge - on the basis that the water was crossing a national border within the UK.

"England" could not be made to pay anything to Wales. The only payments that would need to be made would be between the company operating the reservoir and the consumers drinking the water. Whether the company or the consumers were English or Welsh would be entirely irrelevant.
I think you're missing the point - using an extreme example, let's say WW didn't refuse the water (not that they could of course) but did not offer any help with the transportation. They did not deny access to the water but did not participate in getting the water to England. Would it not then be the English water authorities receiving the water who would be paying for the transportation?

I stress again that's an extreme but the point I'm making is a company which does not serve England (or any other location) should not have to pay for the processing and transportation. I'm not saying they should profit from it, just that their costs should be met. I'd expect the same in return if it was the other way around.

Quote:
The whole reason the debate was framed in these terms on the radio this lunchtime was of course because the Plaidos have an interest in creating an impression of difference between England and Wales. But outside of nationalist fantasy politics there is simply no legal framework that would allow any such arrangement to develop.
That's Plaid Cymru for you, although the discussion was set up by the England-based Radio 2

Quote:
The point is entirely moot. The rainfall and the topography to capture and store it is located in parts of Wales, and the large population centres are located in England.
Adjusted that for you

Not all Wales has oversupplies of water - some of the country is also prone to drought. But I can't ever see any villages in England flooded to dealt with it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote