View Single Post
Old 28-11-2014, 19:54   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Tower PC intermittent display problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
I'd look inside and give the graphics card a press down - my recollection is that they do not have a tail latch , so the back end of the card can lift in the slot, leading to intermittent connection.

Unplug & touch case metalwork before anything else.
Unlikely, all graphics cards have a tail latch and a screw at the other end, plus loose connections in the slot would cause complete PC crashes and more often than not failed cards or even fires in short order.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Firstly go to the web site of the graphics mfr and download the latest driver set to somewhere convenient ( I use C:\downloads)

Then open the control panel and go to:

controlpanel>system>hardware>device manager>display device.

Under the properties tab there select "update driver" and when prompted select the driver(s) you downloaded.

Even if it says you have the latest update anyway to ensure that the driver is uncorrupted.

Probably need to reboot after to get the driver(s) loaded properly.

This is for XP but I think it's the same for later OS's.
Display Driver Uninstaller is a quicker, easier, and more complete way of doing this but I highly doubt it's a display driver issue.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
OK that sounds simple enough for me.

Actually I'm just wondering whether that could be causing other intermittent boot up problems she's had on that PC. I just remembered that quite some years ago another old PC of ours wouldn't start up properly but emitted a few beeps every time we powered up and nothing else. I seem to recall I cured that by pushing down on a graphics card.
A faulty graphics card can do that, a loose one, only if it wasn't latched properly or has a faulty connector.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote