View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 16:37   #15
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Cloud storage for backups: How paranoid should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
I use backblaze.com, it encrypts everything right from the PC, for more security you can lock it with not only a password, but a pass phrase as well.
The problem here is you have no idea on how robust the encryption at this level is. It's upto a third party. You are 100% relying on backblaze.com who for all you know maybe subscribed to the 'key escrow' idealogy where someone (and not you) is given third party trust of the security of your data.

Using something like Truecrypt (yep the same does apply) but it has a wider audience of cryptographers/good programmers who have access to the open source and can (hopefully) spot any weaknesses.

My personal encrypted files are nothing more than tax returns and a few personal letters. Nothing for anyone else to worry about, but I would rather that be my choice.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote