View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 20:31   #14
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts
Re: 10 meg what download speed should i get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked
So he is, just got in from work and bit cream crackered so accept my apologies.
Spoke to someone in tech support who told me that so he must be talking tripe! He also said that it can also be affected by what other services you have like DTV and extra STB's and also what capacity the line running into the property is as they vary in sizes as the more STB's you have take up more bandwidth. I then requested a repull on mine after he told me this. I work for ntl so didnt quite expect hiim to feed me bull aswell!?
Grrr that's rubbish. He really is talking complete pap and doesn't understand what he's talking about.

Yes you can have your internet service affected however all that the extra STBs will do is mean the signal has to be split some more and will therefore be weaker, or a bad connection could cause noise.

If the signals going into and out of your cable modem or the set top that supplies your internet are within spec then this won't affect your speeds in any way at all, if they aren't your service should be broken pretty much 24x7.

The fact that your service goes slow in the evening only says that this isn't the case and it's due to a utilisation problem in your area, either with an upstream, a downstream, or the CPU on the router you connect to at ntl.

If the guy you'd spoken to had paid attention during his training and kept up to date on the tools available to them he might have been able to diagnose this properly.
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote