Old 21-02-2012, 21:33   #32
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Obviously water that has already been processed at someone else's expense should be paid for, but I'm not sure that was the idea. There would be little point pumping purified water over great distances. You would pump 'raw' water between reservoirs and purify it before putting it into the distribution network in the town where it is to be consumed.

I don't buy the idea that England only thinks of the home nations whenever it 'wants something'. I listened to the Vine show as well and I heard the Plaido (Elfyn Llwyd, was it? I was under the kitchen floor so didn't catch all of it) offering up the same small-minded parochial guff we get on our own local telly and radio from the SNP. We are a United Kingdom. We distribute our resources when and where required. Wales is a net beneficiary of taxes collected in the UK, and the south east of England is a net contributor. Nobody has yet suggested that Wales should get less because it contributes less. It is part of the UK. It deserves the same as everyone else. And if parts of this island have more water than is needed, the people who happen to live where the water is have absolutely no right whatsoever to demand payment for that resource, except as would be part of the usual planning and development process.
This is why I didn't say I agreed with England paying for the water. I understand and respect why Llwyd thought we should be paid for it as it's his job to promote our interests. But I certainly think the processing costs etc should be covered by England. If Welsh Water made no profit from the venture then I say that's fair. There certainly is a tangible amount of England only being interested in its own affairs until it wants something from us in this but that would be taking this too OT.

One thing is for sure, a case like Capel Celyn is unlikely to ever happen in reverse.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote