View Single Post
Old 17-08-2015, 18:40   #5981
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever View Post
I don't think BT Sport will be around for the long run. I think they only launched it with intention of getting their broadband numbers up due to people opting to take all services with one provider.

I have a theory that BT will end up selling off BT Sports Division to beIN Sports
I don't agree, I think BT are in it for the long run and have the muscle to take on rivals. Their investment in ULTRA HD is a pretty good indicator of intent.

Key for them is getting a look in for some rights, in an interview a few months back Delia Bushell (Managing Director of BT TV and Sport) suggested that some rights holders had rejected offers from BT as they feared another Sentana, ITV digital situation. BeIN would face the same issues in the UK while BT's reputation will no doubt only get better.

However there are a couple of factors that I think could impact the market and potential risk areas.

1. Sports providers deciding to supply content direct rather than via channels as more people move to getting content via netflx, amazon etc.. In the US you can get NFL and MLB etc... via game passes. I'd personally love to see this for cricket and tennis.

2. Sport rights being sold and made available on a pan-European basis, as per Eurosport Olympics.
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote