View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 21:56   #105
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Is the BBC website down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I think he's upset because it's a workaround, not a solution. Having to set all your computers to use a proxy, repeatedly check when things are working again, and then turning off the proxy isn't a trivial thing for most non-technical customers to do. It neither solves the DNS problem nor alerts the right people to the fault. The user is still left with a degraded service.

Add to that the fact that many services and devices don't work through a proxy (Android phones are incapable of using the proxy, and therefore can't use this workaround), and you can see why having to use a proxy to access major sites is clearly not ideal.
Agreed - but a workaround was available, and he wouldn't even try it, even with a walkthrough guide.

If I had paid £200 to access a site, and couldn't do it, I would be very annoyed, but I would try stuff to make it work, not just blame the supplier.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote