View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 13:25   #7
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Linux-based Satellite Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do your parents have particularly eclectic continental viewing tastes, or are they electronics or sat hobbyists?
Not really. Well, my dad maybe a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
From the OP it seems that he's getting confused between FTA and linux based sat receviers.. and it's FTA that he's after which with a multi lnb or motor setup can recieve more than one sat, a linux box is just a type of fta that uses the linux OS as it's firmware so tends to be a bit more configurable if you have the knowledge to do so.
Not really confused, kymmy. I know what "FTA" means and I know what a "linux-based sat receiver" means.

Probably just not always good at explaining things.

They have the Humax (BBC) Freesat box at the moment that can be made to pick up stations from any other satellite it can see and there is one particular channel (Propeller TV) that they would like to be able to receive due to some content that my Mum wants to watch; The Painting & Drawing Channel stuff, 4pm every day.

Unforunately, the way that the Humax works you can have it either/or freesat/non-freesat but not both at the same time; and you can't set fave channels in non-freesat modee either.

So I was just wondering if another box could provide a solution.

Needs to be HD, capable of recording, have an EPG and ability to store fave channels from any satellite it can see. Streaming (other than a network connection for, eg, iPlayer) not required. Easily installable (ie idiot-proof) hacks* might be nice too.

(* I am assuming this is the stuff "we can't talk about on here" someone mentioned? Fair enough. I won't then.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote