View Single Post
Old 31-12-2015, 11:23   #474
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
See the Ofcom Communications Market Report links I posted earlier. Linear TV viewing numbers are stable and broadcast advertising revenue is growing.

Streaming is also growing, but it will reach saturation, and I suspect in the not too distant future. If you want to stream now, there isn't anything stopping you. My guess is it'll peak at about 10% of viewing share.
I don't disagree with the Ofcom report, but that only tells us what people are doing now. It does not project forward to forecast how viewers will be watching TV in decades to come.

I respect your view that streaming will soon reach saturation, but I do not understand your reasoning behind that. I don't think viewers will want to waste their time on broadcast linear TV as streaming services mature and the average young person works out for themselves that there is a much more efficient means of watching what they want to see. Then those young people get older, and the viewing habits of the nation start to change.

The recent ITV experience in which advertising revenue reduced in the recession shows just how vulnerable the commercial TV stations are to relatively small changes in advertising income, and any significant shifts towards streaming services by the viewing public will reduce income from advertising.

I'm officially part of the older generation now, and my viewing habits have changed completely, just over the last year. Previously, the vast majority of my viewing was from TIVO recordings, with a small proportion from DVD, and very occasionally, live broadcast TV (BBC).

Now, it is totally different. Last night, for example, we watched:

The Frankenstein Chronicles (Now TV via Roku)
The Last Panthers (Now TV via Roku)
Bloodline (Netflix via Smart TV)
BBC News (TIVO recording from earlier in the evening)
Mad Men (Now TV via Roku)

Not all evenings have the same pattern of viewing; sometimes we just watch from our TIVO recordings, but nevertheless, there has been a sea change in our house in the way we view and the quality of that viewing has improved no end. I really cannot believe that the UK audience will stick to the habits of old forever.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote