View Single Post
Old 15-10-2016, 16:36   #21
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
BT publish their plans months or even years in advance.

Pointless being worried about what competitors may do. If the product's not going to sell well with competition it ends up more expensive for VM as they give the introductory discounts and pay for the installs then watch customers churn as the competition take measures to reclaim their punters.

If there's a fear the product can't stand up to competition the product needs some serious work.

I find it far more likely given my experience that until the street works go in and are approved there's no way VM can give any specific timescales so they avoid doing so. The work is considerably more complex than BT delivering FTTC.

There are streets here that have had tracks since February and are still not live. There are streets on the neighbouring estate that have had tracks since last year and are still not live. The MSAN and power distribution cabinets covering over 1,000 premises have been sitting there since March in one case and even earlier in the other doing nothing, one of them still has no power.
They will dig the streets and put the network in at a later date, this might be due to delays elsewhere but at least the construction is done, better it done than having contractors waiting around

The problem occurs when your competitors know your intentions and then blanket the area with discount tying customers in for 1-5yrs so your brand new network will sit there with little income due to the potential customers being tied into long contracts. So your network will not make money, seems sensible to me regardless of how good the product is.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Indeed

So have i 20 years in cable to be exact

20yrs myself.